Contributing editor (contract) Aug 2015 to Sept 2016, Smithsonian.com
- Researched and developed compelling stories for the Smithsonian’s “Age of Humans” (climate change) and “Journey to the Center of Earth” (geology) series, assign stories to freelancers and coach them in Smithsonian’s voice and style
- Worked with leadership to develop a six-month content plan that meets editorial and business goals, including a diverse mix of story topics and formats
- Designed timelines, maps, and infographics with internal staff and external vendors
- Built and laid out stories in Drupal-based CMS, writing headlines, photo captions, and tweets
Editor in chief (contract) Aug 2012 to Nov 2015, Elevation DC, Issue Media Group
- Managed Elevation DC, Issue Media Group’s former urbanist local publication covering innovation, real estate, and social enterprise in D.C. Responsible for the site’s focus and every piece of content
- Wrote headlines and teases; created and located videos, maps, and photos; enhanced images in Photoshop; designed and coded special layouts with HTML and CSS for high-profile stories
Freelance journalist and editor, Aug 2007 to present
I write features and news for newspapers, magazines, and Web sites. Here are a few of the places I’ve been published:
- The Washington Post
- National Geographic News
- Smithsonian Magazine
- Scientific American
- Many more
I edit and proof copy for multiple clients, including Bloomsbury USA, FierceMarkets (a publisher of B2B newsletters), and more.
For three years (2009-2012) I was the editor and sole reporter for MediaJobsDaily.com, a mediabistro.com blog. I updated the blog six times a day, five days a week.
Copy aide Jan 2007 to Jan 2009, The Washington Post
- Managed incoming correspondence (phone, mail, fax, email) for staff of 70, coordinated photo shoots, handled art requests.
- DC Science Writers’ Association “Self-editing for writers” panelist, April 2017.
- 2x Knowledge Commons DC teacher for query letter/cover letter boot camp, 2012 and 2013.
- National Press Club/SPJ social media bootcamp, April 3, 2013.
- Panelist, Online News Association career summit, Oct. 28, 2010.
- Panelist, Vocus User Conference “Future Of Media,” June 11, 2010.
- Panelist, National Press Club’s Journalism Bootcamp, May 2nd, 2009.
- Adelphi University, Garden City, NY
- 2003 – 2007: B.A. in English, journalism concentration